BBQ Ribs Recipe
May 8, 2009
When you want ribs with that outdoor BBQ flavor in the middle of a winter snow storm, this is the recipe for you. Serve with MOM'S COLE SLAW and BBQ BEANS
The secret to these indoor BBQ ribs is the slow cooking. They are literally "fall off the bone" tender. You can substitute beef for the pork ribs but pork tends to be more tender. Also, you can cook with sauce on the ribs or add the sauce at the table after cooking.
This recipe uses 2 racks of ribs to feed 6 people. Generally, figure one rack for each 3 people. If you have a pan big enough to hold 2 racks without stacking, then use it if your oven is big enough. Otherwise, use two pans.
Oven BBQ Ribs Recipe
3 hours 40 minutes
4 hours 5 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 racks of pork ribs
- FOR DRY RUB
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons white pepper (if white unavailable use total 4 tsp. black pepper)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (adjust if white pepper unavailable)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- FOR BBQ SAUCE
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 cups ketchup
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sorghum molasses (you may substitute with 1/2 cup honey)
1. Make the dry rub by combining all dry rub ingredients together in a small bowl and mixing well.
2. Combine all sauce ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. This will make about 2 quarts of sauce and it is best if made a few days in advance. Store in sterilized canning jars and keep refrigerated. It can be used right away but will develop more flavor over time.
3. Sprinkle the dry rub liberally on the ribs and allow ribs to stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
5. Cook ribs, bone side down, for 2 hours.
6. Turn ribs over and cook 2 more hours.
7. Turn ribs again and baste with the barbecue sauce.
8. Cook another 15 minutes and serve hot.