Baked Beans Recipe
Think beans are just beans? Not so. These are not your ordinary beans. These flavor loaded beans are a little sweet, a little spicy and a lot yummy. The hot sauce is optional but you should include it to taste since it adds a little kick to these special beans. For a real treat serve these sorghum beans with your next barbecue.
Sorghum Baked Beans
2 hours 20 minutes
2 hours 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings
o 2 cups cooked beans (kidney, red beans, pinto - canned beans O.K. -see note below)
o 5 slices bacon
o 1 onion, coarsely chopped
o 3 tablespoons catsup
o 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
o 1/4 cup water
o 1/2 cup sorghum molasses
o hot sauce to taste (optional)
1. Cook the beans until tender (or use canned). Set aside.
2. Fry the bacon until done, but not crisp. Cut bacon into 2 inch strips.
3. Combine bacon with all remaining ingredients in an oven-safe medium casserole dish. Stir well.
4. Cover and bake for twenty minutes
5. Reduce heat to 250 degrees F, and continue to cook for two hours. Check the beans every 20-30 minutes to make sure they do not dry out. If dry, add a little water. You should end up with a thick sauce in the beans.
NOTE: If using canned beans rinse with clear, cold water before using.