Apple Pie Recipe
It is not difficult to make but if you are uncomfortable working with dough feel free to use a pre-made crust from the store. And, of course, serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Mom's Classic Apple Pie
1 hour 45 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- FOR THE CRUST
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shortening (CRISCO)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- FOR THE FILLING
- 7 cups peeled apples, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1. Make the crust: Combine flour and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a fork until a cornmeal consistency. Gradually add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly until dough forms a ball.
2. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
3. On a floured surface, roll out half of the dough into a 10-in. circle, as thin as you can make it. Place into a 9-in. pie pan (This is the bottom crust. The top will be added later)
4. Make the filling: Place apples in a bowl, add lemon juice and stir to cover apples with juice.
5. In a separate large bowl, combine sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt and mix well. Add the apples to the flour mix and stir.
6. Pour apple/flour mixture into the bottom crust and dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
7. For top crust: Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place pastry over filling; cut 4 one inch slits in pastry top; seal and flute edges.
8. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water then brush mix over pastry top.
9. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; bake additional 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden brown.
10. Watch the pie closely for the last 20 minutes of baking. If edges of crust begin to burn, cover (edges only) with aluminum foil for remainder of baking time.