May 10, 2009
My mom served Ambrosia once a year at Christmas. An entire dish made of fruit was beyond our budget to serve often those days. Now that fruit is more available and affordable you can serve this delightful treat any time as a side dish or as a dessert.
We use some canned fruit in this recipe but if you have access to fresh fruit, by all means...use it. Fresh is always better.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks
- 1 (11 0z.) can mandarin orange segments
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups seedless grapes
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 large apple, cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1. Drain pineapple and orange segments.
2. In a large bowl, combine pineapple, orange segments, grapes, marshmallows, coconut, apple and nuts.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and brown sugar.
4. Stir sour cream mix into fruit mixture.
5. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
6. Add sliced bananas to ambrosia just before serving.